Little-Known Uses for
Dawn® Dishwashing Liquid
- Wash excess hair coloring from hair. If you dye your hair too dark, wash your hair with Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to lighten the color.
- Clean soap scum from a bathtub. Pour Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on the stained area, let sit overnight, and rinse clean with water. Dawn Dishwashing Liquid cuts through grease and cleans older tubs without harming the finish.
- Wash a car. Mix one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and one gallon water, and use the soapy solution to wash your car. Dawn cuts through grease and also removes some or all of the protective wax, so you'll also have to re-wax the car.
- Kill fleas in carpeting. Pour one tablespoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid into a sixteen-ounce trigger spray bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake well, and spray the carpet, upholstery, and floors. The soap dries up the insects, killing them almost instantly. Let sit for fifteen minutes, and then wipe the floors with a damp towel and vacuum the carpet.
- Kill fleas on a dog. Use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in the dog's bath to shampoo the dog thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid irritating the dog's skin. The dishwashing liquid destroys the fleas' exoskeletons, killing them.
- Make your own household cleanser for walls and floors. Add one-half teaspoon Dawn dishwashing liquid, one-half cup 20 Mule Team Borax, and one teaspoon ammonia to two gallons warm water.
- Cleanse oily skin. Wash your face with a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (famous for its ability to cut through grease) and warm water. Rinse well.
- Wash hairbrushes. Mix one tablespoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, one tablespoon 20 Mule Team Borax, and one-quarter cup water and soak dirty hairbrushes and combs in the solution. Rinse well and let dry.
- Repel insects from houseplants. Put a drop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in a spray bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake well, and mist your household plants with the soapy water.
- Shampoo hair. To cut through grease and grime in hair, use a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid as shampoo. The detergent in Dawn thoroughly cleanses hair.
- Remove any soot that has settled or hardened on the external decorative bricking of a fireplace. Mix equal parts Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Morton Salt, and add enough water to make a cream. Rub the mixture into the brick surface with a cloth. Let dry for ten minutes, and then scrub with a stiff brush. Wipe clean with water and a sponge.
- Kill ants, wasps, or cockroaches. Pour one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid into a sixteen-ounce plastic trigger-spray bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake well, and spray the ants with the non-toxic soapy solution. The soap penetrates their exoskeleton almost instantly, killing the pests.
- Make cleaning up after painting a snap. Before starting a paint job, rub a dollop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid straight from the bottle over your hands and arms, and let dry. When you're finished painting, any paint will wash right off your skin.
- Clean tiles. Mix equal parts Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Epsom Salt, apply the gritty paste to grimy tiles, and scrub with a brush. The Epsom Salt gives the dishwashing liquid abrasiveness.
- Clean food stains from clothes. Mix two teaspoons Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, two teaspoons Heinz White Vinegar, and two quarts warm water. Use the solution to wash food stains from clothes.
- Clean grease stains from clothes. Rub a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid into the grease stain and then launder as usual. Dawn cuts through grease.
- Wash windows. To make a powerful window cleanser, mix one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and one teaspoon Kingsford Corn Starch in one gallon water. Saturate a clean cloth with the sudsy water, wash the window with it, and dry with a clean cloth. The cornstarch prevents streaks.
- Clean a barbecue grill. Mix up a solution of one-half cup Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and one gallon water. Place the grease-coated barbecue grill inside a Glad Trash Bag, pour the soapy solution over the rack inside the bag, seal the bag shut, and let sit overnight. The following day, scrub the rack with a wire brush and rinse clean.
- Find a puncture in a car, truck, or bicycle tire. Mix a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid with water, and brush the soapy solution on a leaky tire. The bubbles will indicate the exact location of the puncture. Also, be sure to check around the tire valve.
- Clean grease or paint from hands. Pour equal amounts of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Wesson Corn Oil in your cupped palm, scrub yourself with the mixture, and then rinse with water. The unusual combination of vegetable oil and dishwashing detergent cleanses the pores and leaves hands soft and moist.
- Help get rid of a yeast infection. Kill the candida albicans fungus in your panties with a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on the crotch and scrubbing with water before throwing the garments in your regular wash.
- Clean brake dust from car wheels. Mix a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in a bucket of water, sponge down the wheels with the solution, and then rinse clean with water. The dishwashing detergent cuts through grease.
- Fish electrical cable through conduits. Mix one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in a sixteen-ounce trigger spray bottle filled with water, shake well, and spray the cable with the soapy solution. The soap will help the cable glide through winding conduits.
- Prevent insects from entering your home. Squeeze out a line of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid around the jamb of an entry door or the frame of a window. Invading insects—like beetles, ants, and silverfish—will crawl into get stuck in the soap. Then you just wash away the line of soap with a hose.
- Clean milk stains from clothes. Squirt a dab of Dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain, scrub it with a clean, used Oral-B Toothbrush, and then toss the garment in your regular wash.
- Prevent eyeglasses from fogging up. Rub a drop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on eyeglasses, and then wipe them clean leaving a thin film to prevent them from fogging up.
Get a FREE
downloadable copy of
75 Amazing Uses
when you subscribe to our FREE monthly Wacky Uses Newsletter!
Click here to see a sample Newsletter.
We respect your right to privacy and
NEVER sell or rent our subscriber list.
Unsubscribe at any time.